[pulseaudio-discuss] can i set a max volume to protect my hearing with pulse audio?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Mar 14 04:02:49 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 14:54 -0600, Bearcat Şándor wrote:
> Folks,
>

> I may be working with studio speakers that have built in amplifiers (and no
> volume controls). To simplify my connections i'd like to hook them up
> directly to my computer audio interface.
>

> I can see myself accidently giving the pulseaudio volume focus and hitting
> some keys or my mouse hand twitches, and sending the volume up too high,
> blasting myself out of the room.
>

> Studio speakers aside, this would be nice for the sake of my ears when i'm
> wearing headphones too.
>

> Is there a sink or plugin i can use to set pulse audio to a maximum volume?
> I've got jack+pulse audio set up nicely with the jack sink for what that
> matters.

There's no support at this time for configuring the maximum volume. If
you use the jack output exclusively, you could route the pulseaudio
output through some filter application in jack that would apply some
attenuation. Or you could use a ladspa sink in pulseaudio with some
simple amp plugin, and ensure that all audio is routed to the ladspa
sink.