[pulseaudio-discuss] New Module: module-lfe-lp

Justin Chudgar justin at justinzane.com
Mon Mar 18 17:24:52 PDT 2013

I've created a module to ensure that only low frequencies are sent to devices
at the end of an "lfe"/"subwoofer" channel. This module allows the user to
select the master channel, the low pass cutoff frequency (aka corner freq, -3dB
freq) and the number of filter poles.

The motivation for this is that I have a 5.1 surround amp/speaker setup but
listen primarly to stereo sources. With pulseaudio's default, my subwoofer is
unused and enabling the naive remixing send full band (20Hz-20kHz) to the sub
which sounds like mud. :( By using this module, i can always use all speakers
with the frequencies they are capable of reproducing.

For those who primarily listen to Dolby, THX, etc. properly mastered surround
movies or DVD-Audios, this is not advised.

[Please note that I am neither a skilled programmer or signal processing
engineer, so target your suggestions and advice in way that I just might
understand. Much of this module was based on the advice of all the great folks
on #pulseaudio.]

The code is currently on github at

https://github.com/justinzane/pulseaudio/blob/master/src/modules/module-lfe-lp.c

I am grateful for any criticisms or suggestions about this, and I would like
to get this merged into mainline sometime.

Justin