[pulseaudio-discuss] Mono Upmixing Only

Carl Gridley crgridley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 03:34:17 PDT 2013

Hi folks,

I have found some old messages on this, but wondered if anything had
changed or anyone had any bright ideas on it now :-)

I have PA 2.1 running on Kubutu 12.10.

It is connected via HDMI to my AV receiver and so I have 5.1 PCM output.

I've got two music speakers, and the surround speakers are much smaller, so
I turn 5.1 upmixing off. I also turn off LFE mixing as the receiver does a
good job and can set a crossover per channel.

Everything sounds great, but mono sounds don't work as they can't get
upmixed to stereo. If I re-enable upmixing, mono works, but then all stereo
sources get upmixed which I'd prefer not to.

I know from the previous notes there were no plans to allow more control
over upmixing, has this changed at all? An option just to enable mono
upmixing only would be fantastic :-)

Or even map mono to the centre channel if one is reported.

I'd like to avoid setting up a custom sink as then I have to manage moving
sources between sinks according to what they are playing; I don't have an
individual application that needs to be stereo all the time, or one that
mono turns up in reliably.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers
Carl