[pulseaudio-discuss] Restoring connections of ALSA emulation clients

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Mar 25 01:36:54 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 11:16 -0400, Phil Frost wrote:
> I have two applications (gnuradio and fldigi), and wish to connect the
> output of one to the input of the other. The source application is using
> the ALSA emulation layer, while the sink application has native
> PulseAudio support. I've accomplished this by loading a null sink
> module, and connecting the first application's output to the null sink,
> and the second application's input to the null sink's monitor, using
> pavucontrol.
>
> However, when I restart the programs, the connections revert back to
> their defaults, and I have to run pavucontrol and remake the changes,
> which is inconvenient. Is there some mechanism that can remember the
> connections of these applications between restarts, or some way I can
> influence an ALSA application which opens the ALSA "pulse" device to
> connect to a PulseAudio sink other than the default sink?

module-stream-restore should take care of remembering what you configure
in pavucontrol. Do you have it loaded? (Check with "pactl list modules
short".) It's loaded by default, so unless you have changed the
configuration files yourself, this should "just work" out of the box.

A workaround would be to set the "PULSE_SINK" and "PULSE_SOURCE"
environment variables when starting the applications.