[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound streaming over network using pulseaudio. Newcomer questions.

vitaly.repin at gmail.com vitaly.repin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 07:22:02 PDT 2013

Hello,

> If you use a tunnel sink, it's possible to set its sample rate to e.g.
> 22050 with the "rate" module argument. If you use a direct connection,
> then this might not be possible, because the application would have to
> support specifying the sample rate.

I use direct connection. What application can I use to specify sample
rate? ffpmeg, mplayer?

> if you're currently using a tunnel sink, try a direct connection (just
> set the PULSE_SERVER environment variable when starting the music
> application).

Yep. This is how I was testing.

> No, MP3 streaming is not supported. Adding Opus compression for network
> audio is one of the possible GSoC projects for this summer, but that
> will never work with Fremantle's PulseAudio version.

Yep. I am following that thread. Sounds very promising.

> If you don't use the N900 as your primary phone, you could try Nemo[1]
> if it works any better (and if we get the Opus compression, that will
> eventually land on Nemo). Nemo can be run from an SD card, so
> overwriting Fremantle is not necessary.

Yep. I will test it for sure. I have 2 N900. Need to repair one of
them (well-known problem with USB/power socket hardware) and will
install Nemo there.

--
WBR & WBW, Vitaly