[pulseaudio-discuss] Rewind Handling in module-lfe-lp

Justin Chudgar justin at justinzane.com
Thu Mar 28 06:33:41 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:35:18 AM you wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-03-26 at 19:34 -0700, Justin Chudgar wrote:
> > https://github.com/justinzane/pulseaudio/blob/master/src/modules/module-lf
> > e-lp.c

> > My understanding is that since I've got a causal filter, I need to do one
> > of the two things when a rewind request appears:
> > 1 - buffer the biquad samples so that I can restart filtering the rewound
> > input memblock_q immediately
> > - or -
> > 2 - buffer the input samples for at least sample_rate/20 and when a rewind
> > come in, set the biquad samples to 0.0 and filter the buffered input.
>
> I think option 1 is better. Rewinding means that you jump back in time.
> Let T be the point in time to which you jump. Option 1 ensures that you
> restore exactly the same state that you had when you reached T the first
> time.
>
> I have no idea how close the resulting state would be to the optimal
> with this limited input history approach, maybe it would be virtually
> perfect. But to avoid this uncertainty, I prefer option 1.
According to my quick calculations, 176 samples history is sufficent for 48dB
difference, 414 for 90dB difference.

> > Also, is it possible? likely? for a rewind to occur during the processing
> > of a sink_input_pop_cb? Since this is where the filtering occurs, how
> > does one manage locking of the shared userdata?
>
> sink_input_pop_cb() and sink_input_process_rewind_cb() are both called
> from the "IO thread" of the master sink, so they can't be called
> concurrently. There's no need for locking.
Excellent!

> > The more focused on my little bit of code, the better, and thanks again.
>
> In sink_input_pop_cb(), I think you should push to the biquad history
> buffer the amount that you return to the caller in the "chunk" function
> argument, that is, the amount that you processed. If the history buffer,
> as a result, contains more data than max_rewind, you should drop the
> excessive history data.

My initial implementation pushed into the history buffer after each calculation
-- which occurs in the sink_input_pop_cb processing loop.

> sink_input_process_rewind_cb() is a bit more tricky, I have some trouble
> wrapping my head around what is happening and what should be done...
> nbytes is the amount of our old output that has been discarded and which
> we should therefore regenerate. It sounds logical that this would be the
> amount that we should jump back in the biquad sample history. But the
> comment about resetting the filter is in a branch that is only executed
> when we seek in u->memblockq, which would suggest that we should care
> about the amount variable instead of (or in addition to) the nbytes
> variable.
What does nbytes refer to? Do I divide like:

rewind_frames = nbytes / (sizeof(u->sample_spec.format) * u-
>sample_spec.channels);

<me>grumble, doc comments</me>

> If u->memblockq contains data, it is unprocessed input, so I don't think
> we should care about the amount of seeking we do in that buffer.
> Unprocessed input hasn't yet had effect on our filter state. It seems to
> me that the right thing to do is to care only about nbytes and jump back
> in the biquad history buffer by that amount (and restore the filter
> state accordingly).
I think I've understood, with two and a half caveats.

1 - When does u->sink->thread_info.max_rewind get populated with a useful
value? pa__init? Should I just sprinkle fprintf's around to see?

1.5 - Is the proper way to handle changes in max_rewind size just to realloc
the history buffer and adjust the index?

2 - max_rewind and max_request are sizes by 'size_t nbytes'. How does that
relate to the number of frames? In other words, should I store (num_frames =
nbytes / (sizeof(sample_spec.format) * sample_spec.channels)?

PS: I spent a few hours just writing doc comments for all the functions. That
really helped me get a clearer picture of what is going on.