[pulseaudio-discuss] [alsa-devel] PulseAudio and softvol

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Wed May 15 04:22:03 PDT 2013

Date 15.5.2013 13:03, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 05/15/2013 12:53 PM, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
>> Date 15.5.2013 12:48, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Yep.  And this path is actually with volume 0dB, that is, a simply
>>> passthrough in softvol.  Thus the bug may hit essentially any
>>> plugins, not specifically softvol.

>>> Yeah, a sort of.  The mmap is cleared in the slave PCM, so actually
>>> there will be copy operations in underlying layers even though softvol
>>> itself does zero copy.
>>>
>>> Actually it makes no sense to keep softvol for PA, but the problem is
>>> always the regression.  There are certainly users without PA, which
>>> might still rely on the softvol for such hardware without the amp
>>> control.
>>>
>>> Maybe We can add some flag to indicate whether to handle softvol or
>>> not, e.g. defaults.pcm.skip_softvol, and let PA set this in its config
>>> space.  Setting a config item itself would break anything, so it'll
>>> still work with old alsa-lib (but with softvol).
>>
>> We have already SND_PCM_NO_SOFTVOL open mode for this purpose, so I
>> wonder, why PA does not use it..
>
> The problem is knowing whether PCM is a softvol or not. In some cases,
> we need to set PCM to control hardware volume.
>
> Maybe, if we could figure this out somehow, we could ignore the PCM
> mixer control (or possibly set it to zero) in case PCM is a softvol,
> and actually use it if PCM is not a softvol.
>
> It does not look like this is currently possible from the simple mixer
> interface, but I might be missing something?

It is not possible. Perhaps, we may create a new dummy mixer control (in
an inactive state) which will identify the presence of the softvol
plugin, like:

"Softvol PCM Playback Volume" - full name for the raw control API
"Softvol PCM" - simple mixer name

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>