[pulseaudio-discuss] card: Only set active_profile with available profile

Luiz Augusto von Dentz luiz.dentz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 00:48:14 PST 2013

Hi Tanu,

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Tanu Kaskinen
<tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-11-18 at 16:51 +0200, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
>> Hi Tanu,
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Tanu Kaskinen
>> <tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>> > I don't think the policy in module-bluetooth-policy is useful outside
>> > Bluetooth. module-bluetooth-policy is mainly concerned with the
>> > transport state in its policy, and the profile availability is only used
>> > as a proxy for the transport state. I'd be happy if
>> > module-bluetooth-policy would be changed so that instead of using the
>> > profile states, it would directly track the transport states using the
>> > APIs that pa_bluez_discovery provides. But since using the profile
>> > states as a proxy works fine too, I'm not really asking anyone to do
>> > anything about that.
>> >
>> > From the proposed changes, I think Colin's patches 1 and 3 make sense.
>> > Preferring PA_AVAILABLE_YES over PA_AVAILABLE_UNKNOWN in generic code
>> > isn't a good idea.
>>
>> Im having a hard time to understand why any policy would prefer a
>> profile that is less likely to work than another,
>
> If you have a "bad" (not very well suited for the use case) profile and
> a "good" (very well suited for the use case) profile, and the
> probability of the "bad" profile working is 100% and the probability of
> the "good" profile working is 99%, do you really see no reason to choose
> the "good" profile?

Well there is nothing to classify a profile as good/bad, is there?
Also the chance can be 99% or 1%, so it is not deterministic. My
argument is that pa_card_new don't have this information so it should
not pretend it knows best and select a profile with available set to
unknown.

>> but perhaps we are
>> not willing the mess with other parts of the code that were using this
>> information in a different way. But then why we are bothering
>> selecting any profile on pa_card_new? This is a policy decision and it
>> seems we are not able to do a generic one so it should not even try,
>> pick the first and be done with it.
>
> Yes, it's a policy decision. I would prefer pa_card_new() to always
> choose the "off" profile by default, but that would require work in
> policy modules to keep old use cases working. For example, on the first
> boot of a PC something else than "off" should be selected for the sound
> card, and currently we don't have any policy module that would ensure
> that.

And nothing fits the "good" profile that works 99% of the time? I
guess that should be marked as available 'yes', or perhaps the modules
should prefer something when they create the card with
pa_card_new_data_set_profile but then we perhaps need to change when
PA_CORE_HOOK_CARD_NEW is fired otherwise it might break things like
module-card-restore.

>> Anyway if pa_card_new do not select 'off' by default it pretty much
>> breaks Bluetooth qualification and if I change the priority of 'off'
>> profile to force it to be selected it breaks module-bluetooth-policy.
>
> Can you tell the Bluetooth qualification requirement that is failing? If
> it's something HFGW specific, you should be able to implement the
> desired policy in module-bluetooth-policy, without modifying
> pa_card_new().

The qualification requires that no audio connection should be open in
certain tests, but right now pa_card_new will select 'hfgw' as it has
the highest priority thus creating a SCO connection.
module-bluetooth-policy doesn't use PA_CORE_HOOK_CARD_NEW perhaps you
want it to use it to select it to 'off' before that. Still this will
only work for modules-bluetooth-policy and internal modules, external
policy components are at the mercy of pa_card_new auto selecting the
right profile.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz