[pulseaudio-discuss] What-did-you-plugin-dialog

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Fri Nov 29 07:55:32 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 14:22 +0800, David Henningsson wrote:
> 2013-11-29 00:39, Tanu Kaskinen skrev:
> > I have been thinking about this problem a bit, and it looks to me like
> > our sink, source and port concepts don't fit this use case very well.
> > The user plugs something to a jack, and the user should select the mode
> > for the jack. A sink is not the same thing as a jack, and a port is not
> > the same thing as a jack. I think we should have "jack" as a core
> > concept and expose the jacks to clients, so that clients can set the
> > jack mode when necessary. That's of course a fair bit of work...
>
> I think it's true that our port concept does not fit exactly to the
> jacks, especially not as you have made ports unidirectional. But I don't
> think the solution to the problem is to introduce *yet* another core
> concept. It's just too much complexity added to the core for one minor
> edge case problem.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

So, you won't add the jack concept to the core. How would you feel about
exposing a similar client interface from a module instead of the core?
Make it possible to list all jacks in the system, get notifications
about their state changes (when something is plugged in), and make it
possible for clients to set the jack mode for jacks that can't detect
the right mode themselves?