[pulseaudio-discuss] An raop2 support

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Wed Sep 11 12:10:23 PDT 2013

On 06 September, 2013 - Hajime Fujita wrote:

> Hi Anton,
>
> Thank you for your interest.
>
> I have switched to a new branch and several new features/fixes are
> integrated. Could you test this one, if you'd like?
> https://github.com/hfujita/pulseaudio-raop2/commits/raop2-for-merge
>
> The following command should allow you to switch to the latest branch.
> $ cd pulseaudio-raop2
> $ git fetch origin
> $ git checkout -b raop2-for-merge origin/raop2-for-merge
>
> Or you can simply clone the whole tree again (assuming that your
> internet connection to github is fast enough.)

I tested the new branch, and stuff worked loads better!

I also tested the patches you posted here on the list on top of current
master and it worked the same.

I have quite a few assertions:
raop_packet_buffer.c: Assertion 'packet->data[4 + 3] == (seq_num & 0xff)' failed at modules/raop/raop_packet_buffer.c:154, function pa_raop_pb_read_packet(). Aborting.

This should be fully reproducible if you test the raop module against
XBMC.

Against the Denon receiver i se some errors like:
E: [lt-pulseaudio] rtsp_client.c: Assertion 'c->url' failed at modules/rtp/rtsp_client.c:400, function rtsp_exec(). Aborting.

Thats related to when i move the volume slider. I could get you a
network trace if that helps?

I also se some:
D: [lt-pulseaudio] rtsp_client.c: Sending command: RECORD
E: [raop-sink] module-raop-sink.c: Failed to send UDP packet: Resource temporarily unavailable

When setting up a stream.

While i tested the patches posted to the list, i also tested the new
tunnel sink and it worked to tunnel to a raop sink with the new module
without the "stuttering", yey =)

//Anton

> Anton Lundin wrote:
> > On 28 August, 2013 - Hajime Fujita wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Recently I found that the current PulseAudio did not support the latest
> >> AirPlay audio streaming, so I started to brush up the raop2
> >> implementation based on Christophe Fergeau and Martin Blanchard's
> >> implementation.
> >>
> >> Here is my ongoing work.
> >> https://github.com/hfujita/pulseaudio-raop2 (repo)
> >> http://hfujita.github.io/pulseaudio-raop2/ (brief document)
> >>
> >> My primary goal is to enjoy musics in my AV receiver from Linux, but a
> >> vague ambitious is to get the code merged into upstream so that anyone
> >> can use the feature by just using distro packages.
> >>
> >> Current status:
> >> * Plays music with Pioneer VSX-43.
> >> * Sound test (launched from the GNOME sound setting dialog) does not
> >> work (no sound heard).
> >> * When stop playing music and then start again, PulseAudio may go into
> >> an abnormal state (no sound/hang up/crash).
> >> * Works reasonably fine with VLC/totem but when playing music from
> >> Rhythmbox, quite rough sound is heard.
> >> * Packet retransmission is not supported yet.
> >>
> >> I'm very happy to hear any sort of suggestions.
> >> In the near future I may ask several technical questions about
> >> PulseAudio internals.
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I thought i take it for a spinn and try it against my XBMC machine and my
> > Denon-1912, and got some mixed results.
> >
> > First i thought i test it by running another pulseaudio server on my
> > machine and use tunnel-sink to connect my "regular" server to the server
> > with the new raop-module in it, but that didn't really work. Something
> > with the raop-module doesn't really behave when a tunnel sink is feeding
> > it.
>
> Could you point me out any document that I can follow to reproduce the
> above situation?
>
> > Later i tested to run a real client against it, and that works quite
> > well!
> > Occasional stutter, maybe once a minute, when running against XBMC, but
> > stutter every 10 seconds or so when running against the Denon receiver.
>
> This might be fixed by the latest patch I showed before, as they
> introduce packet retransmission and more precise timing calculation.
>
> > Looks like XBMC uses libshairport and it might be a interesting project
> > to write a module using that to receive raop to pulseaudio?
>
> Could be interesting, but my current interest is to use Linux machine as
> an audio source, not the sink. Also it's beyond my capability right now.
>

> > //Anton
> >

> Thanks,
> Hajime

Anton Lundin	+46702-161604