[pulseaudio-discuss] An raop2 support

Hajime Fujita crisp.fujita at nifty.com
Thu Sep 5 22:44:49 PDT 2013

Hi Anton,

Thank you for your interest.

I have switched to a new branch and several new features/fixes are
integrated. Could you test this one, if you'd like?
https://github.com/hfujita/pulseaudio-raop2/commits/raop2-for-merge

The following command should allow you to switch to the latest branch.
$ cd pulseaudio-raop2
$ git fetch origin
$ git checkout -b raop2-for-merge origin/raop2-for-merge

Or you can simply clone the whole tree again (assuming that your
internet connection to github is fast enough.)

Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 28 August, 2013 - Hajime Fujita wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently I found that the current PulseAudio did not support the latest
>> AirPlay audio streaming, so I started to brush up the raop2
>> implementation based on Christophe Fergeau and Martin Blanchard's
>> implementation.
>>
>> Here is my ongoing work.
>> https://github.com/hfujita/pulseaudio-raop2 (repo)
>> http://hfujita.github.io/pulseaudio-raop2/ (brief document)
>>
>> My primary goal is to enjoy musics in my AV receiver from Linux, but a
>> vague ambitious is to get the code merged into upstream so that anyone
>> can use the feature by just using distro packages.
>>
>> Current status:
>> * Plays music with Pioneer VSX-43.
>> * Sound test (launched from the GNOME sound setting dialog) does not
>> work (no sound heard).
>> * When stop playing music and then start again, PulseAudio may go into
>> an abnormal state (no sound/hang up/crash).
>> * Works reasonably fine with VLC/totem but when playing music from
>> Rhythmbox, quite rough sound is heard.
>> * Packet retransmission is not supported yet.
>>
>> I'm very happy to hear any sort of suggestions.
>> In the near future I may ask several technical questions about
>> PulseAudio internals.
>
> Hi!
>
> I thought i take it for a spinn and try it against my XBMC machine and my
> Denon-1912, and got some mixed results.
>
> First i thought i test it by running another pulseaudio server on my
> machine and use tunnel-sink to connect my "regular" server to the server
> with the new raop-module in it, but that didn't really work. Something
> with the raop-module doesn't really behave when a tunnel sink is feeding
> it.

Could you point me out any document that I can follow to reproduce the
above situation?

> Later i tested to run a real client against it, and that works quite
> well!
> Occasional stutter, maybe once a minute, when running against XBMC, but
> stutter every 10 seconds or so when running against the Denon receiver.

This might be fixed by the latest patch I showed before, as they
introduce packet retransmission and more precise timing calculation.

> Looks like XBMC uses libshairport and it might be a interesting project
> to write a module using that to receive raop to pulseaudio?

Could be interesting, but my current interest is to use Linux machine as
an audio source, not the sink. Also it's beyond my capability right now.

> //Anton

Thanks,
Hajime