[pulseaudio-discuss] PA is very silent; doen't use the max hardware volume

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 07:49:10 PST 2014

On 23/01/14 16:33, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>[...]
> Isn't PA supposed to use 0db on the hardware by itself?

Or rather, control the hardware volume when I move the volume slider of
the hardware output in pavucontrol? Moving that slider does nothing to
the hardware volume, and PA seems to apply software attenuation to the
volume.

In alsamixer, my hardware volumes are named like this:

Master Front, Master Rear, Master Center, Master Woofer and Master Side.

(The ALSA driver I'm using is "snd-virtuoso" with kernel 3.10.27.)

Each of those controls the volume of the corresponding jack on the back
of the card. There are jacks for front, rear, center, woofer and side
speakers.

It would appear that PA is unable to control any of those mixer controls.