[pulseaudio-discuss] PA is very silent; doen't use the max hardware volume

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 04:46:10 PST 2014

On 23/01/14 19:30, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 23/01/14 19:03, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> OK. The problem is that the card has a 6-channel Master control that
>> alsamixer converts into three controls, including "Master Front" that
>> confused us. Unfortunately, PulseAudio cannot handle such controls.
>> There is a FIXME about this:
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/tree/src/modules/alsa/alsa-mixer.c#n1603
>[...]
> Thanks for the pointer to the source code! I was able to get this to
> work by applying this extremely dumb patch:
>
>    http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6gj6idSf
>
> Seems to work OK. The hardware volumes are now adjusted correctly.

I should mention that all 8 mixer channels are working (the PA slider
controls all the 5 "Master" sliders in alsamixer), even though the code
suggests that only the first two channels should be working. I'm not
sure why that is, but it means that it works correctly even when having
more that two speakers connected.