[pulseaudio-discuss] Issue with cookie creation on windows

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 19:35:18 PST 2014

I think I've discovered a bug in the way the cookies are created since
3.0 changed the default location of the cookies in order to adhere to
the XDG Base Directory Specification

Or maybe I am just calling/using PulseAudio incorrectly..

If I run:
C:\Program Files\x2goclient\pulseaudio-3.0-win32>pulseaudio.exe -F
c:\Users\mike\x2go-temp\config.pa

where config.pa contains the lines:
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp port=4713
load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp port=4714
load-module module-waveout

Then a cookie is created at along with its parent dirs:
C:\Users\mike\.config\pulse\cookie

If I override the environment variable USERPROFILE from
"C:\Users\mike\" to any other value, then the cookie is still created
relative to that variable.

However, if I set the environment variable:
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=C:\Users\mike\
Then this directory is created along with its parent dirs, but the
cookie is not:
C:\Users\mike\.config\pulse\

If I set this environment variable instead:
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=C:\Users\mike\
Then this directory is created along with its parent dirs, but the
cookie is not:
C:\Users\mike\pulse\mothership-7-32-runtime\
(mothership-7-32 is this VM's hostname)

Finally, if I set both aforementioned XDG environment variables,
Then this directory is created, and the cookie is not:
C:\Users\mike\pulse\

-Mike DePaulo
win32 Package Maintainer for the X2Go Project