[pulseaudio-discuss] Rtkit and PulseAudio rlimit_rttime mismatch

Felipe Sateler fsateler at debian.org
Mon Jun 30 08:16:33 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 4:37 AM, David Henningsson
<david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ricardo just noticed that a bug fixed in rtkit 0.11 causes a mismatch
> between PulseAudio and RtKit.
>
> In short, PulseAudio sets its default RLIMIT_RTTIME to one second, and rtkit
> by default refuses to give realtime priority to anything above 200 ms.
>
> So, should we change rtkit to allow an RLIMIT_RTTIME of one second, or
> modify PulseAudio to have itself killed after 200 ms of rtprio? Opinions?

Also, how does rtkit interoperate with the newer systemd without
ControlGroup stanzas?

> (And btw, any chance we can deprecate rtkit altogether sometime, given a
> recent systemd and kernel?)

If I understand this correctly, this would entail runnning pulseaudio
as a user service. But this does not seem to work reliably: I have not
succeeded in having services started by systemd talk to the dbus
started by the X session. But perhaps I'm doing something wrong, and
with too old a stack (systemd 208, dbus 1.8.4).

--

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler