[pulseaudio-discuss] RAOP2 patch testing result

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 10:45:05 PST 2014

Hi.

I have cloned the raop2-v2 branch from
https://github.com/colinleroy/pulseaudio

The following test was applied.

I have installed the "Android HiFi" application (also known as "HiFi
Speaker"), version 1.7 Beta, on my Android phone, and started it.

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29986442

Version is important: this one is possibly-buggy in an interesting way.
Also, newer versions require a license for more than 30 minutes of
playback. Note: for some reason, Google Play has removed this app, so
you can only get it from various shady sources such as above.

Then, I ran the following command:

pacmd load-module module-raop-discover

Result: it found the speaker!

Then I started mpv on a music file, and redirected its output to the
HiFi Speaker using pavucontrol. Result: it worked.

Then I pressed the back arrow to seek back. Result: it froze.

Then I killed the HiFi Speaker application on Android. Result:
PulseAudio unfroze mpv's stream and moved it back to analog headphones.

Then I started Airfoil Speakers on Android. Result: PulseAudio does not
see it, even if module-raop-discover is reloaded.

I suspected that I could load module-raop-sink manually:

pacmd load-module module-raop-sink server=192.168.1.39 protocol=UDP

Result: freeze. So it looks like Airfoil Speakers are just incompatible.

Started HiFi Speaker again, now it got autodetected.

So the module should have some more graceful detection of dead or buggy
receivers.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov