[pulseaudio-discuss] RAOP2 patch testing result

Martin Blanchard tchaik at gmx.com
Wed Nov 12 13:13:24 PST 2014

On Tue, 2014-11-11 at 23:45 +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Hi.

Hello Alexander!

> I have cloned the raop2-v2 branch from
> https://github.com/colinleroy/pulseaudio

First, thanks for the testings.

> The following test was applied.
>
> I have installed the "Android HiFi" application (also known as "HiFi
> Speaker"), version 1.7 Beta, on my Android phone, and started it.
>
> Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29986442
>
> Version is important: this one is possibly-buggy in an interesting way.
> Also, newer versions require a license for more than 30 minutes of
> playback. Note: for some reason, Google Play has removed this app, so
> you can only get it from various shady sources such as above.
>
> Then, I ran the following command:
>
> pacmd load-module module-raop-discover
>
> Result: it found the speaker!
>
> Then I started mpv on a music file, and redirected its output to the
> HiFi Speaker using pavucontrol. Result: it worked.
>
> Then I pressed the back arrow to seek back. Result: it froze.

I can reproduce that, will try to fix it. You should not experience such
a problem with GStreamer based players, I think. Have you try any other
players?

> Then I killed the HiFi Speaker application on Android. Result:
> PulseAudio unfroze mpv's stream and moved it back to analog headphones.
>
> Then I started Airfoil Speakers on Android. Result: PulseAudio does not
> see it, even if module-raop-discover is reloaded.

This may be a module-raop-discover bug (Avahi related). Can you post the
full pulseaudio log?

> I suspected that I could load module-raop-sink manually:
>
> pacmd load-module module-raop-sink server=192.168.1.39 protocol=UDP

> Result: freeze. So it looks like Airfoil Speakers are just incompatible.

Well, specifying protocol only may not be enough. You may want to try
something like this:

pactl load-module module-raop-sink server=[192.168.1.39]:5000
sink_name=raop_output.Airfoil.local
sink_properties='device.description="Airfoil-Speakers"' protocol=UDP
encryption=RSA codec=ALAC channels=2 format=16 rate=44100

> Started HiFi Speaker again, now it got autodetected.
>
> So the module should have some more graceful detection of dead or buggy
> receivers.

Agreed, but the issues you are reporting here are likely to be bugs or
problems in our RAOP client implementation...