[pulseaudio-discuss] Merging soxr (was: Re: Patch review status wiki page updated)

Andrey Semashev andrey.semashev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 06:38:29 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM, David Henningsson
<david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 2014-11-18 14:46, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>>
>> Add support for libsoxr resampler: David's objection about overriding
>> pa_resampler_request is 100% valid, and the patchset cannot be merged
>> without taking it into account.
>

> Well, the result will be inoptimal rather than completely not working
> without a working pa_resampler_request (especially given that Andrey seems
> to be satisfied with the current behaviour). If we're given fewer samples
> back than we expected, we'll just go through another round of
> resampling/mixing/etc, which I assume is what happens here.
>
> We could also statically add "20 ms" to pa_resampler_request (only in case
> soxr is selected, of course) and see if that gives a better result from an
> optimality perspective.
>
>> So, it looks like we are waiting for a
>> new version - not only of the patchset, but also of libsoxr. Otherwise
>> there is no API to implement pa_resampler_request.

I'm not sure how pa_resampler_request is used in PA. If it's just an
estimate (e.g. to allocate buffers), and the code that uses the
resampler actually uses the sample counts consumed and produced by the
resampler, everything should work fine. Is there a context where the
resampler absolutely must produce samples according to
pa_resampler_request?