[pulseaudio-discuss] --check option seems not to work from su(1) as daemon user

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Sep 9 00:56:43 PDT 2014

On 2014-09-08 20:44, Glenn Golden wrote:
> Quickie question, relating (indirectly) to the info that David provided on
> server association:
>
> Suppose I want to run a user PAD on hostA, and allow it to accept control
> connections from (say) pavucontrol or pactl running on hostB.  How does one
> set things up to permit that?
>
> Trying "pactl --server=hostA" (executed on hostB) results in "connection
> refused", which makes sense, since netstat shows that the only listening
> sockets in use by the PAD on hostA are the unix domain sockets
> /tmp/.esd-NNN/socket and /run/user/NNN/pulse/native. But no TCP (or UDP)
> ports are in use by the PAD.
>
> I didn't see anything in pulseaudio.1 or in pulse-daemon.conf.5 about how to
> permit remote connections, or any sort of port specification options, or
> anything of that sort that would hint at how to go about allowing remote
> connections to a local PAD.
>
> What's the magic incanation? Or am I entirely misinterpreting that such a
> thing is even possible?

You need to load the module-native-protocol-tcp module, either using
pactl or through modifying the relevant .pa file.

See
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules/#index22h3
for relevant options, e g if you want no security you need to give
auth-anonymous as an argument.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic