[pulseaudio-discuss] --check option seems not to work from su(1)

Glenn Golden gdg at zplane.com
Tue Sep 9 02:13:16 PDT 2014

David Henningsson <david.henningsson at canonical.com> [2014-09-09 09:56:43 +0200]:

> On 2014-09-08 20:44, Glenn Golden wrote:
> >
> >What's the magic incanation? Or am I entirely misinterpreting that such a
> >thing is even possible?
>
> You need to load the module-native-protocol-tcp module, either using pactl
> or through modifying the relevant .pa file.
>
> See http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules/#index22h3
> for relevant options, e g if you want no security you need to give
> auth-anonymous as an argument.

Hm. Still no joy.  Here's what I did:

On hostA, using pactl, loaded the above module with 'auth-anonymous=1' option,
and verified that the module shows up via "pactl list modules" (with the
option listed).  Also verified that netstat now shows two listening tcp sockets
on port 4713, one tcp4 and the other tcp6.

Then on hostB, verified that it was possible to successfully connect to the
PAD on hostA using netcat(1) via port 4713.  [This was just for purpose of
verifying that socket would accept connections, not to actually try to talk
to the PAD].  This netcat connection attempt succeeded, and netstat indeed
showed the incoming connect from netcat.

But then from hostB, tried  to contact the PAD using pactl like this:

    $ pactl --server=hostA list

and still get 'conn refused'.

Also tried several alternative formats for the server specifier (per the
textual ddescription of $PULSE_SERVER in pulseaudio.1):

	--server=tcp:hostA
	--server=tcp4:hostA
	--server=tcp6:hostA

and then all of the above with the port number 4713 explicitly also given.
Also tried specifying hostA via its dotted IP address instead of IP name,
in case there was some local name lookup issue. In all cases, conn refused.

What am I doing wrong?