[pulseaudio-discuss] Bringing up new audio driver and pulse is not happy

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 11:38:40 PDT 2014

23.09.2014 00:25, jonsmirl at gmail.com wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Alexander E. Patrakov
> <patrakov at gmail.com <mailto:patrakov at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     22.09.2014 23:50, jonsmirl at gmail.com <mailto:jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         I'm bringing up an ALSA driver - 1c22400.iis-sgtl5000. This
>         driver works
>         fine with aplay.
>
>         Something I'm doing in the driver is not making pulse happy.
>         This is a
>         trace with one terminal running 'pulseaudio' and a second doing
>         'paplay
>         left.wav''. I don't hear anything when plays.
>
>         If I don't load "load-module module-rtp-recv" I can play
>         left.wav under
>         pulse without problem. Does this speex resampler work on ARM? I have
>         NEON FPU.
>

>     Probably your speex has been compiled with --enable-fixed-point.
>     Unfortunately, this does not work by default with PulseAudio 5.0 and
>     its default speex-float-1 resampler. You either have to change the
>     resampler manually to speex-fixed-1 in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf or
>     apply this fix:
>
>     http://cgit.freedesktop.org/__pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?__id=__ac984f59d36ef555bc5b0df9af1cd4__8193d0d14f
>     <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?id=ac984f59d36ef555bc5b0df9af1cd48193d0d14f>
>

> Thanks, that is the problem.
>
> I am using buildroot. What should tell the buildroot people to get this
> fixed? Or will it get fixed in the next pulse release?

It will be fixed in the next release, but, since it is not released yet,
please tell buildroot people to apply this fix during the build. I am
really sorry that there is no official stable branch.

> Should I fix the speex compile in buildroot to remove
> --enable-fixed-point on FPU capable CPUs?

Sorry, I can't answer the question. But you have the CPU, so you can
benchmark both ways (speex fixed-point + pulseaudio configured to use
speex-fixed-1, speex floating-point + pulseaudio configured to use
speex-float-1). A valid benchmark is to play a weird-rate (e.g. 16000
Hz) wav file with aplay and look at the CPU usage by PulseAudio. If the
CPU is too powerful for you to notice the usage, try speex-float-3 or
speex-fixed-3 :)

If you do perform this benchmark, please share the result here.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov