[pulseaudio-discuss] Issues with ALSA code on the Raspberry Pi

Paul A. Steckler steck at stecksoft.com
Tue Sep 23 16:59:18 PDT 2014

Hi,

  I have an application that uses the ALSA API, which opens the
PulseAudio device for playback.

  One issue is that the playback is very choppy and distorted, if the
X server is not running. Some Googling reveals that PulseAudio
uses dbus, which needs X. Could that be the issue? When I'm
running the Pi from the command line, I do see a pulseaudio process.

  Another issue is that when X is running, though the audio sounds
fine, it's delayed by about a second (I'm capturing audio from a USB
microphone). I've changed the "fragment" settings in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
to low values (this helped with lag for the same program on
an x86_64 desktop). That change did not help. Any ideas?

-- Paul