[pulseaudio-discuss] Next pulseaudio release?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Sep 22 12:07:30 PDT 2014

On 2014-09-22 20:58, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> So, if I understand correctly, the current situation is the following:
>
> 1. oFono patches have been fully merged.
> 2. Wim Taymans patches have not been merged yet (or at least not completely)
> 3. Even if Wim's patches are merged, we (debian) will have to choose
> between oFono or native at compile time.
> 4. Either patchset is not complete, in that one supports HSP and the other HFP.
> 5. In practice, the above is not terribly important, because most
> devices support both.
> 6. oFono requires manual configuration by the user.
>
> With the above understanding, I'm thinking that we could work around
> problem 3 by building pulseaudio twice and shipping the relevant
> modules in separate conflicting packages. Not sure if that would be
> too confusing for users.

I have had the same thought (shipping one pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
and one pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-ofono) for Ubuntu, maybe we can
collaborate on the packaging?

> If ofono requires manual configuration (and does the ofono support
> have a minimum version requirement? Debian currently has 1.9), I think
> it would be better for us to use the native backend, if it manages to
> be upstreamed in time.

Same here, my vote is for trying to get the native support in ASAP and
before 6.0 release.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic