[pulseaudio-discuss] Next pulseaudio release?

Luke Yelavich luke.yelavich at canonical.com
Mon Sep 22 17:05:58 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 06:35:06AM AEST, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM, David Henningsson
> <david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 2014-09-22 20:58, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> >>
> >> So, if I understand correctly, the current situation is the following:
> >>
> >> 1. oFono patches have been fully merged.
> >> 2. Wim Taymans patches have not been merged yet (or at least not
> >> completely)
> >> 3. Even if Wim's patches are merged, we (debian) will have to choose
> >> between oFono or native at compile time.
> >> 4. Either patchset is not complete, in that one supports HSP and the other
> >> HFP.
> >> 5. In practice, the above is not terribly important, because most
> >> devices support both.
> >> 6. oFono requires manual configuration by the user.
> >>
> >> With the above understanding, I'm thinking that we could work around
> >> problem 3 by building pulseaudio twice and shipping the relevant
> >> modules in separate conflicting packages. Not sure if that would be
> >> too confusing for users.
> >

> > I have had the same thought (shipping one pulseaudio-module-bluetooth and
> > one pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-ofono) for Ubuntu, maybe we can collaborate
> > on the packaging?
>
> I'd be more than happy. It appears that the packages have diverged
> quite a bit, so we need to work something out (but perhaps that is OT
> for this list?).
>
> Our current packaging is maintained in git[1]. We use the regular
> git-buildpackage workflow. I'm not finding where the equivalent
> repository is for Ubuntu (does one exist?).
>
> [1] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-pulseaudio/pulseaudio.git

We currently keep our packaging in bzr, but perhaps we should do what is done for many other packages in Ubuntu, and keep our packaging in a branch in the Debian git repo. I believe David is a member of pkg-pulse, and I am also. We'd lose history, but that is a small price to pay for easy cherry-picking of patches between the distros. I'd be happy to help get this sorted.

Luke