[pulseaudio-discuss] bluetooth headset audio not supported by ofono

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Feb 4 03:14:08 PST 2015

On 2015-02-04 11:30, Georg Chini wrote:
> On 04.02.2015 09:40, David Henningsson wrote:

>>> Indeed. Before I update the notes, though, I want to get a decision on
>>> whether we will release with your patch to use both backends
>>> side-by-side (probably implies another rc before final release), or will
>>> we postpone that to the next release. Either is fine by me, but I'd vote
>>> for releasing with your patch.
>>
>> Hmm. I'm not totally sure about the differences between HF and AG so
>> take this with a grain of salt, but...
>
> The HF role is used when you connect a phone to the computer, in this
> case the phone is the
> initiator of the connection, your microphone and speakers are on the
> computer side.
> The AG role is used when you connect a headset to the computer, then the
> computer initiates the
> audio connection and microphone and speaker are on the headset side.
>

>> It seems to me that it's not extremely unlikely that either of us will
>> step into the other domain in the future, i e, bluez 5 might implement
>> AG audio or PulseAudio might implement a native support for HF.
>>
>> Also, if the AG plugin of Bluez 5 supports RFCOMM/AT commands then
>> we're already partially overlapping, because that's what we use to
>> set/get headset volume and mic gain. If we enable both backends, will
>> that then send AT commands from both backends when we try to set the
>> volume, or...?
>
> No, this will not happen. Only on connection will take place. Usually
> the headset tries to connect to
> UUID 0x111f (HFP profile) first, if that is not available it tries UUID
> 0x1112 (HSP profile). Ofono
> registers UUID 0x111f with bluetooth while pulse registers 0x1112. So
> normally when ofono is
> running (and you have an active modem in your system) the headset will
> connect HFP to ofono and
> pulse will only see the a2dp profile. You can disable the AG role in
> ofono though with a command
> line switch if you prefer to have HSP connected to pulse.

So while many headsets support both HFP and HSP, there are probably also
some headsets which only support one or the other, right? In which case
it would make sense for both ofono and pulseaudio to support both HFP
and HSP. So; maybe my argument about ofono and pulseaudio potentially
overlapping in the future isn't about AG and HF then, but rather about
HFP and HSP?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic