[pulseaudio-discuss] bluetooth headset audio not supported by ofono

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Wed Feb 4 03:36:13 PST 2015

On 04.02.2015 12:14, David Henningsson wrote:

> On 2015-02-04 11:30, Georg Chini wrote:

>>> Hmm. I'm not totally sure about the differences between HF and AG so
>>> take this with a grain of salt, but...
>>
>> The HF role is used when you connect a phone to the computer, in this
>> case the phone is the
>> initiator of the connection, your microphone and speakers are on the
>> computer side.
>> The AG role is used when you connect a headset to the computer, then the
>> computer initiates the
>> audio connection and microphone and speaker are on the headset side.
>>

>>> It seems to me that it's not extremely unlikely that either of us will
>>> step into the other domain in the future, i e, bluez 5 might implement
>>> AG audio or PulseAudio might implement a native support for HF.
>>>
>>> Also, if the AG plugin of Bluez 5 supports RFCOMM/AT commands then
>>> we're already partially overlapping, because that's what we use to
>>> set/get headset volume and mic gain. If we enable both backends, will
>>> that then send AT commands from both backends when we try to set the
>>> volume, or...?
>>
>> No, this will not happen. Only on connection will take place. Usually
>> the headset tries to connect to
>> UUID 0x111f (HFP profile) first, if that is not available it tries UUID
>> 0x1112 (HSP profile). Ofono
>> registers UUID 0x111f with bluetooth while pulse registers 0x1112. So
>> normally when ofono is
>> running (and you have an active modem in your system) the headset will
>> connect HFP to ofono and
>> pulse will only see the a2dp profile. You can disable the AG role in
>> ofono though with a command
>> line switch if you prefer to have HSP connected to pulse.
>
> So while many headsets support both HFP and HSP, there are probably
> also some headsets which only support one or the other, right? In
> which case it would make sense for both ofono and pulseaudio to
> support both HFP and HSP. So; maybe my argument about ofono and
> pulseaudio potentially overlapping in the future isn't about AG and HF
> then, but rather about HFP and HSP?

HSP is the older version, that means there are some headsets around
which only support
HSP. But as far as I know every headset which supports HFP will also
support HSP because
HSP is a subset of HFP.
And yes, there is a potential overlap, so maybe your idea of just adding
a switch "both" is
the best way to handle it. I'll send a patch later today, then you can
decide which of the
patches you prefer.