[pulseaudio-discuss] Best way to add a delay to playback

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Thu Jun 11 22:29:34 PDT 2015

On 11.06.2015 22:58, hector at convivencial.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to add a 2-5 second delay to the sound playback from a
> stream.
>
> That is, the sound comes out from an application at time X, and the
> sound can be heard from my speakers at X+5 secs.
>
> Is this possible somehow? I have been trying to play with the latency
> offset without much luck, plus it only seems to allow a maximum of
> 2000 msecs.
>
> Of course, most of the internet is trying to find how to eliminate
> latency, not how to create it, so I haven't found anything useful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Hector
Hello Hector,

you can use module-loopback with the patches from
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.pulseaudio.general/22956
to introduce the delay you need. (Play back to a null-sink and use
module-loopback to connect null-sink.monitor to your real sink). For
large delays it only works properly with timer based scheduling. With
batch cards I have seen lots of error messages in the debug log at
latencies  >  2- 5 seconds, although the audio still seems to be OK.

Regards
              Georg