[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI audio passthrough no longer working

Xamindar junkxamindar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 23:32:58 PST 2015

Hi Pulseaudio list!

With a recent update to my Arch system, audio passthrough has stopped
working in Kodi. Kodi no longer shows the passthrough options anymore
either. Here is what I have which has been working fine up until recently.

-7.1 audio out HDMI (nvidia card) to an Onkyo receiver.
-KDE4 running as my DE with pulseaudio configured and working.
-Pulseaudio set up as the correct 7.1 audio (even get them all in kde)
with passthrough items all checked in pavucontrol.

I was getting passthrough on the files that had supported codecs and
kodi was handling everything else. Then when I wasn't in Kodi audio was
great in the DE with all other applications. This set up was working
great up until recently. It's as if pulseaudio has stopped supporting
passthrough or my config got overwritten by a default.

Anyway, a recent update broke all this and the passthrough options have
vanished from the kodi options. The closest I have gotten is setting
sound configuration to stereo in pavucontrol and then the passthrough
options magically appear in kodi again. But still no sound on
passthrough stuff and this option is unacceptable anyway as I don't want
to reduce everything else to stereo just to get passthrough working in
one app.

Any ideas what went wrong here? Is there a known bug in pulseaudio 6.0
that causes this breakage?

Thanks.