[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI audio passthrough no longer working

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 23:39:31 PST 2015

02.03.2015 12:32, Xamindar wrote:
> Hi Pulseaudio list!
>
> With a recent update to my Arch system, audio passthrough has stopped
> working in Kodi. Kodi no longer shows the passthrough options anymore
> either. Here is what I have which has been working fine up until recently.
>
> -7.1 audio out HDMI (nvidia card) to an Onkyo receiver.
> -KDE4 running as my DE with pulseaudio configured and working.
> -Pulseaudio set up as the correct 7.1 audio (even get them all in kde)
> with passthrough items all checked in pavucontrol.
>
> I was getting passthrough on the files that had supported codecs and
> kodi was handling everything else. Then when I wasn't in Kodi audio was
> great in the DE with all other applications. This set up was working
> great up until recently. It's as if pulseaudio has stopped supporting
> passthrough or my config got overwritten by a default.
>
> Anyway, a recent update broke all this and the passthrough options have
> vanished from the kodi options. The closest I have gotten is setting
> sound configuration to stereo in pavucontrol and then the passthrough
> options magically appear in kodi again. But still no sound on
> passthrough stuff and this option is unacceptable anyway as I don't want
> to reduce everything else to stereo just to get passthrough working in
> one app.
>
> Any ideas what went wrong here? Is there a known bug in pulseaudio 6.0
> that causes this breakage?

I have read the above, but the main question is unsnswered. Did it work
before with non-stereo profiles?

My guess so far is that it never worked, and you broke it by enabling
the 7.1 profile that was not available before (i.e. I guess that you
were using a stereo profile before).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov