[pulseaudio-discuss] Better naming for HDMI/DisplayPort

Arun Raghavan arun at accosted.net
Mon Mar 23 10:47:47 PDT 2015

On 23 March 2015 at 23:15, Tanu Kaskinen <tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-03-18 at 21:02 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
>> I came across this link [1], where they test a Thunderbolt connection
>> and finds it to show up as "HDMI/Displayport 2". Maybe
>> "HDMI/DisplayPort/Thunderbolt 2" is too long, so we should perhaps come
>> up with something better. E g, how about "Video Link 2"?
>
> Is it terribly hard to actually get the link type, so that we could
> accurately say whether it's HDMI, DisplayPort or Thunderbolt? If yes,
> then "Video Link" sounds pretty good to me.

>From dmidecode on my Thinkpad x240:

Handle 0x0018, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
Port Connector Information
        Internal Reference Designator: Not Available
        Internal Connector Type: None
        External Reference Designator: Mini DisplayPort
        External Connector Type: Other
        Port Type: Video Port

I wonder if this could be one avenue to pull this information.

-- Arun