[pulseaudio-discuss] R: Re: Many differences between pulseaudio built from source and installed from package

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Mon May 11 02:46:56 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-07 at 10:37 +0200, Erotavlas_turbo at libero.it wrote:
> Hi,
> thank you for your reply, but you answered only to one of my doubts. By using
> the same OS, I compiled both pulseaudio 5.0 and pulseaudio 6.0 from source with
> the following command line:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-
> bluez4 --disable-rpath --with-module-dir=/usr/lib/pulse/modules

Where did you get this command line? It's exactly the same as what
another person recently reported using. I presume the command line is
from some kind of a howto document. The arguments are mostly nonsense,
so if you can tell the author of the howto to fix the arguments, that
would be very helpful.

You don't necessarily have to give any options to configure.
--sysconfdir=/etc is probably a good idea, because if you use the
default (/usr/local/etc), you probably will forget that, and get
confused when changes to the files under /etc don't have any effect. And
if you don't want to use bluez4, disabling that is ok too, but not
required.

> The results is that pulseaudio 5.0 has 23 modules while pulseaudio 6.0 has
> only 13 modules. Why?

I don't know. In your original mail you said that PA 6.0 installed
module-bluetooth-discover, but not module-bluetooth-policy. How are you
checking what gets installed? There should be no situation where
module-bluetooth-discover gets installed, but not
module-bluetooth-policy, so your installation seems to be broken
somehow.

> 1) Is there a way to choose which modules to install?

The various --enable/disable-foo configure parameters control what
optional features get enabled. There's no way to specify "this is the
exact list of modules I want".

> 2) Is it right that the resampling profiles src-sinc-best-quality src-sinc-
> medium-quality src-sinc-fastest src-zero-order-hold src-linear are deprecated
> since pulseaudio 6.0?

Yes.

> 3) When building from source is option --enable-neon-opt  Enable NEON the only
> performance improvement that I can enable?

Do you expect that there would be more "performance improvement
features"? Of course we enable all applicable performance improvements
automatically. NEON is an exception, but I don't know why that's an
exception. You didn't mention your hardware - is it even NEON capable?