[pulseaudio-discuss] unable to remove sink or source suspension when switching desktop environment

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat May 30 02:10:51 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 08:39 -0700, Oz Dror wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 2:42 AM, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
>

> > PulseAudio suspends the devices when your user doesn't have access to
> > them any more. Your user loses access to the devices when you switch to
> > a vt on which your user is not active. These access control changes are
> > done by logind.
> >

> I do have an access to the audio group.

Really? Then the suspension should not happen when switching VTs. Note
that devices get suspended in any case if they're idle for 5 seconds, so
make sure you're actually playing something when checking the sink
status.

Could you do the following:

1. Start playing some music. Keep it playing during the following steps.

2. In the Ubuntu graphical session, run "getfacl /dev/snd/* >
~/getfacl1.txt"

3. In the Ubuntu graphical session, run "sleep 20s; getfacl /dev/snd/* >
~/getfacl2.txt"

4. During the sleep command switch to the container and wait.

I expect that the music stopped when you switched to the container. If
so, please attach getfacl1.txt and getfacl2.txt. That should clarify
what's happening with the device access rights.

> I do not know if this can explain that, but the group id number for audio
> in the container is different then the one in in the host. (this is a
> privileged container)

The group id in the container doesn't matter, because the container
doesn't access the hardware directly. It's always the pulseaudio
instance in Ubuntu that talks to the hardware.