[pulseaudio-discuss] Help needed configuring Bluetooth speaker with system mode

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun May 31 06:17:09 PDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-05-30 at 11:50 -0700, Northern Lights Info wrote:
> Okay, good, small amount of progress.
> So the daemon keeps running now but now I have no audio output when I try
> to play a wav file with paplay /home/testuser/testsound.wav
> --device=bluez_sink.A0_B4_A5_1E_9D_E6
> The play button on the speaker lights up while the command is running but
> then I see Failed to drain stream: Timeout

Sounds like the kernel is just not consuming any data in the bluetooth
socket.

If paplay talks about draining, it means that it reached the end of the
file. Is the file very short? Could you try with a longer file? I don't
expect that to work any better, but at least that will rule out the
possibility that it's only the draining that is failing in paplay.

> HereĀ¹s the partial log:
>
> D: [bluetooth] module-bluez5-device.c: Stream properly set up, we're ready
> to roll!
> D: [pulseaudio] module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink
> bluez_sink.A0_B4_A5_1E_9D_E6 becomes idle, timeout in 5 seconds.
> D: [pulseaudio] module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink
> bluez_sink.A0_B4_A5_1E_9D_E6 becomes idle, timeout in 5 seconds.
> I: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Speex appears to be compiled with
> --enable-fixed-point. Switching to a fixed-point resampler because it
> should be faster.
> D: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Resampler:
> D: [pulseaudio] resampler.c:   rate 22050 -> 8000 (method speex-fixed-1)

The device rate is 8000, so the active bluetooth profile is HSP/HFP. Is
that what you want to use? "Bluetooth speaker" sounds like something
that you would rather use with the A2DP profile. You can switch the
profile with "pactl set-card-profile CARDNAME a2dp_sink".