[pulseaudio-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] PulseAudio 7.1 released

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Nov 4 04:36:35 PST 2015

On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 16:34 +0000, Maciej Garwoliński wrote:
> http://pastebin.com/1fNAViKp

PulseAudio finds only the headphone path based on the information that
the kernel gives. The card doesn't seem to have a separate headphone
jack itself[1], so I suppose the "Headphone" mixer element controls the
front panel output volume, if you have such thing hooked to the card.

I think the kernel should create a jack element for the back panel
output (at least a phantom jack, if proper jack detection can't be
implemented). That would allow PulseAudio to distinguish between the
back and front panel outputs. As a workaround, I think removing the
contents of /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-
headphones.conf would make the volume control work again (just delete
the contents, not the file itself).

The reason why this worked before version 7.1 is that your "Master"
volume element has more than 2 channels, which PulseAudio couldn't
handle, so the headphone path (which includes the "Master" element) was
disabled. PulseAudio still can't handle volume elements with more than
2 channels, but as of 7.1, such elements are just ignored, so they
don't disable the whole path.

[1] https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_DS/specifications/