[pulseaudio-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] PulseAudio 7.1 released

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 08:49:07 PST 2015

> > http://pastebin.com/1fNAViKp
>
> PulseAudio finds only the headphone path based on the information that
> the kernel gives. The card doesn't seem to have a separate headphone
> jack itself[1], so I suppose the "Headphone" mixer element controls the
> front panel output volume, if you have such thing hooked to the card.
>
> I think the kernel should create a jack element for the back panel
> output (at least a phantom jack, if proper jack detection can't be
> implemented). That would allow PulseAudio to distinguish between the
> back and front panel outputs. As a workaround, I think removing the
> contents of /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-
> headphones.conf would make the volume control work again (just delete
> the contents, not the file itself).
>
> The reason why this worked before version 7.1 is that your "Master"
> volume element has more than 2 channels, which PulseAudio couldn't
> handle, so the headphone path (which includes the "Master" element) was
> disabled. PulseAudio still can't handle volume elements with more than
> 2 channels, but as of 7.1, such elements are just ignored, so they
> don't disable the whole path.
>
> [1] https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_DS/specifications/

It seem that there is a bug in alsa mixer api which combine volume and mute
switch with different number of channels (items) but the mixer api assume
both controls have same number of channels(items)

control.1 {
iface MIXER
name 'Master Playback Volume'
value.0 121
value.1 121
value.2 121
value.3 121
value.4 121
value.5 94
value.6 121
value.7 121
comment {
access 'read write'
type INTEGER
count 8
range '67 - 127'
dbmin -6000
dbmax 0
dbvalue.0 -600
dbvalue.1 -600
dbvalue.2 -600
dbvalue.3 -600
dbvalue.4 -600
dbvalue.5 -3300
dbvalue.6 -600
dbvalue.7 -600
}
}
control.2 {
iface MIXER
name 'Master Playback Switch'
value true
comment {
access 'read write'
type BOOLEAN
count 1
}
}

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right - Rear Left - Rear Right -
Front Center - Woofer - Side Left - Side Right
  Limits: Playback 67 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 121 [90%] [-6.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 121 [90%] [-6.00dB] [on]
  Rear Left: Playback 121 [90%] [-6.00dB] [on]
  Rear Right: Playback 121 [90%] [-6.00dB] [on]
  Front Center: Playback 121 [90%] [-6.00dB] [on]
  Woofer: Playback 94 [45%] [-33.00dB] [on]
  Side Left: Playback 121 [90%] [-6.00dB] [on]
  Side Right: Playback 121 [90%] [-6.00dB] [on]