[pulseaudio-discuss] How to lock front audio volume to 50%?

Philipp Lorenz dcent at gmx.net
Sat Nov 7 06:06:31 PST 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to get the following to work: There's a SoundBlaster Live
(emu10k1) soundcard in my PC and the bass is set to 90%. This causes a
lot of audio distortion on the audio output because Pulseaudio always
sets the front volume to 100 % (and keeps resetting it to that value).
If I set it down to ~50 %, there are no issues.

What I'd like to do now is forcing Pulseaudio to leave my front audio
volume where I set it. I've consulted this page:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/PulseAudioStoleMyVolumes/

There it says I should add the "control=" parameter to module-alsa-sink,
so I added this to my configuration:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,0 control=PCM

Now I have a second sink for the soundcard, but the sound is still
cracking and the front volume setting doesn't have any impact on the
sound anymore.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!
-Philipp