[pulseaudio-discuss] [Vala] Issues will vala and pulse vapi

Al Thomas astavale at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 21 04:33:41 PST 2015

This looks complex so I can only give a few pointers.

Does the code actually compile or are you getting an error about an
unresolved symbol?

You are using SourceInfo in two places. Once as a field in your
SinkSourceList class, this is an ArrayList of SourceInfo. The other
is when you iterate over that field as part of your main function.
If you are getting an error, which of those sections of code is giving
the error?

>From an object oriented design point of view your SinkSoureList

class is doing too much. Initialisation should be done elsewhere
and I think it is unusual to have GLib.MainLoop within a class.
Some refactoring would be helpful here to see the problem more
clearly.

Your callback that adds the SourceInfo to the ArrayList is a closure.
That is the enclosing context is passed as part of the callback. It
doesn't look as though PulseAudio uses that. It would be better to
define the callback as a method in the SourceInfo class then pass
the callback as this.my_callback, e.g.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vala/PulseAudioSamples
For an explanation of callbacks with and without context see:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vala/LegacyBindings#Delegates
If you end up digging deep into the VAPI this may also help:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-March/009383.html

For a list of CCode attributes see:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vala/Manual/Attributes#CCode_Attribute

If you are not familiar with Vala structs take a look at:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vala/Tutorial#Structs
and also "boxing" structs in collections:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14096999/vala-interface-generics-compiler-error
Although you have "boxed" the struct in your code.

Hope that helps a little,

Al