[pulseaudio-discuss] Device reservation improvement suggestions

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Oct 19 23:46:54 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-19 14:27, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> On 19 October 2015 at 05:41, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
>>> (Side note: I would have liked to see the device reservation protocol on
>>> the system bus instead of the session one, but that's likely too late to
>>> change now)
>>
>> I think it's probably possible to do the transition to the system bus,
>> if we just can find someone to write patches for both PulseAudio and
>> Jack. During a transition phase we would have to use both buses, to
>> cooperate with applications using only the session bus.
>
> Note that now that everyone is moving to a user instead of session
> bus,

Are we? :-) I haven't heard anything about e g Ubuntu switching over,
but I could have just missed it?

> the benefits of moving to the system bus are reduced.

For me the main use case would still be collaboration between a
user-level PulseAudio and system-level daemon(s). Which does not change
with the move from session to user.

> Also, who
> would ship the dbus/polkit policy to allow logged in users to own the
> name?

Hmm, that's a good point. As a starting point, maybe the same package
that gives access to the soundcard itself to logged in users?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic