[pulseaudio-discuss] Device reservation improvement suggestions

Felipe Sateler fsateler at debian.org
Tue Oct 20 05:43:06 PDT 2015

On 20 October 2015 at 03:46, David Henningsson
<david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:

>>> I think it's probably possible to do the transition to the system bus,
>>> if we just can find someone to write patches for both PulseAudio and
>>> Jack. During a transition phase we would have to use both buses, to
>>> cooperate with applications using only the session bus.
>>

>> Note that now that everyone is moving to a user instead of session
>> bus,
>

> Are we? :-) I haven't heard anything about e g Ubuntu switching over, but I
> could have just missed it?

On wily the dbus package first offers dbus-user-session (user bus)
over dbus-x11 (session bus)[1], just as in debian unstable. So I guess
there is still some transitioning to be done for upgrades, but unless
the installer does something manually you should end up with user
sessions by default. Moreover, I think under kdbus session bus is not
supported (I can't find a link though).

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/dbus

>> the benefits of moving to the system bus are reduced.
>

> For me the main use case would still be collaboration between a user-level
> PulseAudio and system-level daemon(s). Which does not change with the move
> from session to user.

Indeed.

>> Also, who
>> would ship the dbus/polkit policy to allow logged in users to own the
>> name?
>

> Hmm, that's a good point. As a starting point, maybe the same package that
> gives access to the soundcard itself to logged in users?

Well, in the end this is really a distribution problem. I don't see a
problem with everyone that uses this protocol shipping the policy file
and let distributors handle shipping just one version via
Conflicts/internal coordination.

--

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler