[pulseaudio-discuss] Microphone not being detected after reboot

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Apr 20 12:55:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-04-13 at 09:22 +0200, LPK wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> So every time I reboot, pulse doesn't 'see' my mic anymore. I reboot
> and pavucontrol shows this: https://i.imgur.com/ivFBCII.png As you
> can see, no mic under input devices, the whole device is missing that
> would normally show a drop-down menu to select front, rear or line-
> in. Then I simply pull my mic out of the microphone jack and plug it
> back it and voila: https://i.imgur.com/bCcI7h2.png My mic is there
> and it works. This happens every time I reboot. This is my alsa-
> info.sh output after having rebooted, with no microphone visible in
> pavucontrol: http://lpaste.net/159686
> And this is alsa-info after having taken out the mic and plugging it
> back in, it works now:
> http://lpaste.net/159687

A possible explanation is that you have at some point manually selected
a card profile that doesn't contain the mic input. When pulseaudio
starts, it will select the last profile that was selected manually.
When you plug in the mic, pulseaudio automatically switches to a card
profile that contains the mic. Only manual profile switches are
remembered, so the automatic profile switch won't have effect any more
when pulseaudio starts on the next boot.

You should be able to fix this by manually selecting the "Analog Stereo
Duplex" profile in the "Configuration" tab of pavucontrol (if it's
already selected, switch to some other profile and then to "Analog
Stereo Duplex").