[pulseaudio-discuss] update-card-properties? Possible?

Bernd Wechner bwechner at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 13:06:28 UTC 2016

Thanks Tanu, your observations are every very helpful and time saving.

If I may, I'd ask an ancillary question. It's not actually the card's
device.description I want to change. I just had a curious question about
that because that is what is used at present by the Sound settings app
in Linux MINT (Cinnamon) to identify sound devices.

Only I find that wholly inadequate and have the strong desire to name my
sound devices as I manage quite a number and even in the simplest case
of two onboard sound devices on a NUC the names not at all useful in
identifying which is which on the ports.

The use-case I'm after is simple:

  * Open Sound settings app.
  * Edit name of sound device to reflect my configs.
  * See the device thusly described thence-forth in the Sound settings
    app at least, ideally in any app of mixer that works with cards.

That's looking like a biggish sort of ask as I don't even suspect
device.description is the right place for it, as that is populated with
something semi sensible already. Though it might be, as I'm not sure if
there's a pulaseaudio spec that states that card.device.description
should be used to identifying cards in apps that work with them.

It might rather be that the most appropriate path forward is a new
property like card.device.name that is editable and has methods for
setting it and remembering it. But that actually raises the question,
whether such a property belongs in pulseaudio at all or in alsa?

Or I note that ports sometimes have a device.product.name property,
which if it's an HDMI or DisplayPort device seems to contain a lucid
name for the device. Perhaps support for a port property like
device.description is consistent with the paradigm in place, and it
could be made editable/updatable and then Sounds Settings apps can use
this in their titles for sound devices?

My experience is not deep. I'm dishing for wisdom.

Either way I see this is likely a common use case among people working
much with sound, and a real bother.  Printers don't have this problem, I
can name them. Awesome. And the name is distinct form the description.

Regards,

Bernd.