[pulseaudio-discuss] Driver falls back to software volume

peterten01 at yahoo.com peterten01 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 18:14:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

thanks for your response. That really helps.

Now I call with "control=Master" and pulseaudio changes the alsa Master volume.
PCM Playback Volume is not touched by pulseaudio.

> Pulseaudio doesn't currently have
> configuration for elements with these names, but adding the
> configuration is easier than writing code for supporting 6-channel
> elements.

I am not sure if I understood you correctly. Is it possible to control in addition the PCM Playback Volumes?
I adapted the driver according to your proposal and alsa now list the controls as followed...

$$ amixer -Dhw:2 scontents
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'PCM Center',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'PCM Front',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'PCM LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'PCM Rear',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%]

I know that channels are showing up weird things like "Front Left - Front Right" for "PCM Rear".
Havn't yet seen where to change this and if pulseaudio will grab the controls then.

Any clue?

Best regards
Peter