[pulseaudio-discuss] Driver falls back to software volume

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Dec 23 11:50:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-12-22 at 18:14 +0000, peterten01 at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your response. That really helps.
>
> Now I call with "control=Master" and pulseaudio changes the alsa Master volume.
> PCM Playback Volume is not touched by pulseaudio.
>
> > Pulseaudio doesn't currently have
> > configuration for elements with these names, but adding the
> > configuration is easier than writing code for supporting 6-channel
> > elements.
>
> I am not sure if I understood you correctly. Is it possible to
> control in addition the PCM Playback Volumes?
> I adapted the driver according to your proposal and alsa now list the
> controls as followed...

> $$ amixer -Dhw:2 scontents
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
> Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
> Playback channels: Mono
> Limits: Playback 0 - 100
> Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
> Simple mixer control 'PCM Center',0
> Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
> Playback channels: Mono
> Limits: Playback 0 - 100
> Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
> Simple mixer control 'PCM Front',0
> Capabilities: pvolume
> Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Playback 0 - 100
> Mono:
> Front Left: Playback 100 [100%]
> Front Right: Playback 100 [100%]
> Simple mixer control 'PCM LFE',0
> Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
> Playback channels: Mono
> Limits: Playback 0 - 100
> Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
> Simple mixer control 'PCM Rear',0
> Capabilities: pvolume
> Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Playback 0 - 100
> Mono:
> Front Left: Playback 100 [100%]
> Front Right: Playback 100 [100%]

> I know that channelsĀ are showing up weird things like "Front Left -
> Front Right" for "PCM Rear".
> Havn't yet seen where to change this and if pulseaudio will grab the
> controls then.
>
> Any clue?

Fixing the channel maps would be good, but I don't think pulseaudio
cares much about them, at least if the override-map options are set for
the elements.

As I said in my previous mail, pulseaudio doesn't recognize these new
element names, but the necessary configuration can be added pretty
easily. /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-
output.conf.common contains the "PCM" element definition, so these new
elements should be specified in the same file. You can see in analog-
output-lineout.conf how we configure the override-map options for the
"Front", "Rear", "Center" and "LFE" elements, and you should be able to
 simply copy those to the new "PCM Front", "PCM Rear" etc. elements.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk