[pulseaudio-discuss] update to FAQ about Linux to Windows

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Jun 8 17:15:44 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-06-08 at 10:08 -0700, Doug McCasland wrote:
> Ok, on the Linux side, I removed the server setting in client.conf and
> added this in default.pa:
>
> load-module module-tunnel-sink server=remotename
>
> and it worked!   Sound is send to Windows *and* local Line-In works.
> Awesome!
>
> Note for others: I did not start or re-start Pulseaudio anywhere. It is
> still running on the remote Windows box.  Looks like a non-daemon
> Pulseaudio got started on the Linux side (not sure how).

The first application that tried to use pulseaudio after you removed
"default-server" from client.conf autospawned the daemon, most likely.
(I don't know what you mean by "non-daemon" - it's a daemon if it runs
in the background.)

> Question -- is there a way to duplicate the sound originating from the
> Linux box so it goes to both:
>
> - remote Windows box, and
> - out the local (Linux) speaker/headphone jack
> - and still has local (Linux) Line-In/Mic available

Yes, load module-combine-sink on the Linux machine. By default it will
play to all outputs, but if you want to choose only specific sinks, you
can use the "slaves" argument.