[pulseaudio-discuss] update to FAQ about Linux to Windows

Doug McCasland dmccasland at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:58:35 UTC 2016

Thanks Tanu.  I couldn't get module-tunnel-sink to work right on the
Linux side, not sure what I was doing wrong.

So I put default-server back in client.conf and wrote a shell script to
kill any pulseaudio and uncomment/comment that line. Since I only use
the local Line-In sometimes, and I don't really need to hear the line-in
signal (the source has its own speaker nearby), this works well.

Now I leave default-server set, so I can have Linux sound go to Windows
box with the speakers.  Then I run the script to enable Line-In on the
Linux side when I need it.

Thanks for all your work on PA and thanks to all the other developers!

On 2016-06-08 06:00, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 18:21 -0700, Doug McCasland wrote:
>> Now a question about the setup I described...   :-)
>>
>> When I configure Pulseaudio on the Linux side to send the sound output
>> to the Windows box, then Pulseaudio daemon no longer runs. But because
>> of that, Line-In on the Linux box is apparently lost.
>>
>> How can I have apps on the Linux box receive local Line-In (or Mic),
>> while still sending sound output to the Windows box?
> Instead of configuring the server address in client.conf, you can load
> module-tunnel-sink on the Linux machine. That creates a new playback
> device, and when you route streams to that sink, the audio gets sent to
> the Windows box.
>
> --
> Tanu

Doug McCasland