[pulseaudio-discuss] Splitting a 7.1 device into virtual 5.1 + 2.0 devices?
chrno-sphered at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 27 12:35:29 UTC 2016
I'm using an ALC899 codec with 6x3.5mm jacks and so far, I've been using sink-remap , which worked fine, 5.1 sound being remixed to 2.0 as expected.
However, there are two problems with this:
- even though I select the Stereo sink as output in pavucontrol, the sound is also playing via my Surround sink
- the two sinks have their volumes linked.
Apparently, I could set my card to 5.1 and the grey socket would be automatically treated as a 2.0 device, however the behavior is completely the same as my earlier setup, including the caveats described above
I would like to split them in separate devices as follows:
- two sinks visible, Stereo (for the 2.0 amplifier) and Surround (for my 5.1 headset with a built-in amplifier), physical 7.1 device hidden in pavucontol/KDE's plasma-pa widget
- for the Stereo sink, I want the LFE to be mixed into the stereo channels when downmixing, but left untouched for stereo content (just like it did with PA6.0). Same for rear and center channels.
- for the Surround sink, I want the LFE to use the subwoofer, as standard PA7.0 behavior.
- selecting one of the sinks should only play sound on that sink, not both of them
Is it possible to do that with pulseaudio? Or should I be doing this in alsa? Somewhere else?
I got a hint from Raymond Yau in my bug report for another issue  to disable the side (grey) socket to be able to do that but I'm not sure how to go about it/where to start.
More information about the pulseaudio-discuss