[pulseaudio-discuss] Stepping down; future thoughts

David Henningsson diwic at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 28 04:36:30 UTC 2016

I've decided to stop working for Canonical, and with that, I intend to
ramp down my contributions to PulseAudio, on both upstream and Ubuntu
levels.

I could have stayed as a volunteer, but in fact I've been a bit
frustrated over some of PulseAudio's design choices for quite some time.
Maybe some of those choices were right at the time when they were made,
but they make us a not good enough fit for tomorrow.

 From one end comes the embedded ASoC drivers, who have never heard of
timer-based scheduling, but can reconfigure themselves to decode mp3 in
hardware.

 From the other end come sandboxed apps, and the security requirements
that come with it.

And routing - we tried, but we never got that right. It's been
difficult, not only due to all use cases and different demands and ideas
from different groups of people, but also due to the way PulseAudio is
built up internally.

In software nothing is impossible, but to re-architecture PulseAudio to
support all of these requirements in a good way (rather than to "build
another layer on top", which in the long run would make the PulseAudio
even more difficult to maintain) would be very difficult, so my judgment
is that it would be easier to write something new from scratch.

And I do think it would be possible to write something that took the
best from PulseAudio, JACK, and AudioFlinger, and get something that
would work well for both mobile and desktop; for pro-audio, gaming,
low-power music playback, etc. I have been tempted to try; but knowing
that it would be a huge undertaking, and I don't know any company who
would like to provide funding for such a project, I'm not likely to get
very far. Which is a shame, because I think we, as an open source
community, could have great use for such a sound server.

All the best,
   David