[pulseaudio-discuss] Upgrading a pa script from Ubuntu 12.04 to 16.10

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Nov 15 09:03:19 UTC 2016

Just got back to this.

I managed to get it to work and wrote a couple of short awk programs to
parse the output of pacmd list and that eliminated most of the hard
coded values I was using blindly. I still don't know what I am doing,
but it works.

What initially threw me was that the pactl command returned more than
one result (which I wasn't expecting) and the first one wasn't the one I
needed.

The only remaining weirdness (pending further testing and use) is that
vlc seems to remember what audio output it was last using - even if it
isn't running when I switch the outputs. When that happens, I have to go
into the audio menu of vlc and manually select the current desired
output. No big deal, just unexpected.

Joe