[pulseaudio-discuss] pa_context_set_source_volume_by_index() failed

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Oct 31 11:55:21 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-10-29 at 12:50 +0200, pfl wrote:
> I realised I could not connect to the server running my program as root
> (sudo)
>
> PA_CONTEXT_CONNECTING
> (and stops there, pa_context_connect does not return at all)
>
> is there any user permission involved with pulse audio ?

By default only the user who started pulseaudio can connect to it. If
you really have to allow multiple users to access the same pulseaudio
instance, it's best to run pulseaudio in the system mode. The "pulse-
access" group is only relevant in the system mode.

If you're going to do that, read this first to be aware of the security
implications:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide/

We don't currently ship a systemd service file for the system mode.
Here's a recent discussion that can be helpful if you're going to write
the service file yourself:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2016-October/026946.html

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk