[pulseaudio-discuss] pa_context_set_source_volume_by_index() failed

pfl pfl at messofts.be
Mon Oct 31 17:25:52 UTC 2016

I dont know about this

my problem is that raspbery pi has gpio header and the program needs to
be ran as root to use these gpio

but if pulseaudio is not made nor supported to be run as root, then
maybe I should use something else (alsa?)

the only thing I need is my app to set the mic input and speaker output
volumes

nothing else, this all really starts to get complicated just to set the
input/output of the system

Le 31/10/2016 à 12:55, Tanu Kaskinen a écrit :
> On Sat, 2016-10-29 at 12:50 +0200, pfl wrote:
>> I realised I could not connect to the server running my program as root
>> (sudo)
>>
>> PA_CONTEXT_CONNECTING
>> (and stops there, pa_context_connect does not return at all)
>>
>> is there any user permission involved with pulse audio ?
> By default only the user who started pulseaudio can connect to it. If
> you really have to allow multiple users to access the same pulseaudio
> instance, it's best to run pulseaudio in the system mode. The "pulse-
> access" group is only relevant in the system mode.
>
> If you're going to do that, read this first to be aware of the security
> implications:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide/
>
> We don't currently ship a systemd service file for the system mode.
> Here's a recent discussion that can be helpful if you're going to write
> the service file yourself:
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2016-October/026946.html

---